Friday, July 21, 2006

Stat

It's been a rough 2 weeks. I can't wait for OtherDoc to come back from vacation and for mine to start. Yesterday was one of the more scary cases that I have had since residency. I had just gotten home from the hospital after transferring one of my 32 week patients to the University hospital for pre-term labor (4 cm dilated!!) and sectioning my 2 day LGA induction (who happened to weigh over 300lbs, herself) when I got a stat call from the triage nurse. "The baby's heart rate is in the 90s and it isn't coming up!" A routine NST of OtherDoc's had a baby that was in distress, and I was at home, 20 minutes away. I drove as quickly as I could, avoided accidents in rush hour traffic, and made it to the patient's bedside, where the fetal heart rate was indeed in the low 100s to 90s (normal heart rate is usually 110-160!) It was my call, and we went stat to the OR. The baby was out in less than 2 minutes, and, after the pediatricians worked on her for an anxious minute or two, she was pink and screaming. I think that I started breathing at that moment, as well. Now, I've done several emergent sections in residency, but I was always in-house when the emergency happened. Never have I been so scared that a baby would die before I could get it out. I am thanking God today that I got there in time and the baby, though tiny, is perfectly fine. I am so grateful to be able to do this for a living, I just hope that my nerves can take it! Vacation with Florida Friends starts in 2 days! I *can't* wait!

No comments: