Sunday, September 03, 2006

It's the most wonderful time of the year

College football season has arrived. I awoke on Saturday every bit as giddy as a child on Christmas morning. I drove to and from the hospital listening to the local radio station hyping the game in NearbyUniversityCity with a silly grin plastered across my face. I arrived back home to a Tivo'd College Gameday, lots of snacks, and a full afternoon of college football gluttony. I was raised by college football fanatics, and, in retrospect, I realize that I never had a chance to be anything but a fanatic myself. My high school won the state football championship my freshman and senior year and went to the playoffs during the intervening years. I went to a major college football power school during it's glory days. Football Saturdays kicked off early in the morning with pitchers of bourbon and Coke and beer. Each Saturday night was a victory celebration. The question was really never whether or not we were going to win, but by how much. I became a very, very spoiled fan. My entire adult life has been spent in or just outside a major college football mecca. I feel most at home in these places. (In other words, I don't feel like such a freak!) The interesting thing is, that wherever I resided, that particular team would win a conference or national title during my tenure there. The streak has continued, even to my current residence. The tides have since turned on my alma mater's football program, and apparently I have now become hell to withstand during their games. I yell at the TV as if they could hear me. I chant superstitious gibberish on each major play. I whine and moan about the coaching staff, and, even if it doesn't show, I love every minute of it. Luckily for me, Mr. Whoo shares my passion, and we are striving to pass it on to our daughter. I'm afraid she doesn't have a chance, either. So, this weekend, we are opening all the windows in the house, cooking up some chili, and I am praying for a less than 5 loss season for my team. They play for the first time on Monday night. I am scared. Go 'Noles!

1 comment:

dr. whoo? said...

Mrs. Mom~ If it would help (and I could stand being in the Florida heat again) I totally would move back just for football season. Don't get me started on Jeff "Run it up the Middle" Bowden! I could go on and on! You know Bobby will never fire him, so we are stuck until Bobby retires. It sucks to see so much talent wasted on boring and predictable plays. This is so not *our* FSU!

My little one has FSU socks and a cheerleader outfit lined up. She can do the warchant (she learned by our singing FSU bottle opener this weekend!) Of course, by all means paint your little guy up now, that way if he ever makes the wrong choice and chooses another school (especially another Florida school!) you can blackmail him with the pictures! Fingers crossed for tonight!

Go Seminoles!
Fight, team, Fight!
Scalp 'em!