Saturday, December 09, 2006

So Tired

I have never been much of an Ozzy Osbourne fan (past, chicken-head eating Ozzy, nor present, parkinsonian DTs dysfunctional-parent Ozzy), but I distinctly remember seeing a portion of the video for the song "So Tired" in my old house in Mississippi and hearing the refrain "I am sooooo tired, and I just can't wait around for you." That's all that I remember of the song, but whenever I get really exhausted, this refrain echoes around in my foggy little brain like some sort of anthem. Truly bizarre, what the mind can spit out under duress. I wish that I could remember other, more useful details in this manner. Sorry for the silence, but I, as per usual, have been quite busy, and when I am not being busy, I am being catatonic on the sofa, stewing over everything else that needs to be done. Nary a witticism nor quirky observation about the universe about which to blog has entered my brain. Thank goodness that I've been tagged with not one, but two memes!

First, from Dr. K at That Mirror belongs to Frank - My 5 favorite Christmas Songs.

1. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - My current favorite is performed by the Barenaked Ladies and Sarah McLaughlin, and it is such a cool version, how can you not love it?

2. O Holy Night - This song never ceases to make me tear up, pregnant or not.

3. Carol of the Bells - I identify with the frenetic pacing of this Carol. Makes me feel right at home!

4. Tie! Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time - Paul McCartney This is a song that is really happy and cheery, and it reminds me of my parents. (P.S. Ew, while looking for a clip online I found out that Hilary Duff ruins, I mean, covers this song. My ears! Ick.)

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer - My childhood favorite, now CindyLou's very favorite, as well.

5. Adeste Fideles (O Come All Ye Faithful) - Only because I took Latin once upon a time, and I can actually sing this entire song in Latin. Yes, I am a dork.

Honorable Mention - Just about any song from John Denver and The Muppets - A Christmas Together. This just really takes me back to my childhood and Christmas with my parents. Also guaranteed to make me bawl like a little girl.

The second meme comes from At Your Cervix, and is titled "6 Weird Things." Only 6? Hmm.

1. I think that I have mentioned before that I have a real social phobia. I know this is weird because I interact with multiple people, strangers, in my every day work and life, and do quite well at it. However, in residency, I developed a true reluctance to answer the phone at home...ever. I think it stems from having such a demanding job, and I am wanting my time at home to have no other demands placed upon it. I am a real call screener. Sometimes I can make exceptions for my mother, but most of the time, I have to talk myself into answering the phone. Also, I hate to call in orders (like for pizza, etc.) or speak to people I don't know on the phone. Email can also go unanswered (and sometimes even unread) by me for weeks because I can't handle the pressure of a reply. Weird, right? I should be on medication for this.

2. I dig the paranormal. Ghosts, hauntings, astrology, tarot cards, divination, you name it, it is fascinating to me. I know my rising sign and where my moon is and have analyzed my and Mr. Whoo's astrological charts. I can also be very superstitious. This is weird because most of me is very rational/scientific, but I'm a sucker for anything extraordinary. Must be the Pisces in me. ;)

3. I eat spaghetti with ketchup on it. Yes, you read that correctly. Spaghetti with ketchup and parmesan cheese, and sometimes butter. This evolved from childhood, when my mother used to add a little ketchup to her spaghetti sauce on my serving, because it took the spice and bite out of the sauce for my young, delicate palate. It has since mutated. This habit really grosses Mr. Whoo out, but he eats tuna in mac and cheese, which I find equally disgusting. (How can you defile mac and cheese in this way?)

4. I am somewhat claustrophobic. While I don't dig small places, the true underlying fear is being unable to breathe. If I am in a small place, but can feel cool air blowing past my face, I am usually ok. I once had a total meltdown whilst "caving" in Tennessee on a youth group trip, because in one portion of the cave you had to get down and *roll* to pass through the cavern. Huge rocks on the top of you, mud and dirt beneath you. Freak out city. I also have to sleep on the right side of the bed, because I sleep on my right side, facing right, and have to have air in front of my face.

5. I was a Navy brat. I grew up moving about every 2 years, which sucked. My dad retired from the Navy when I was 12 or 13 and we moved to Florida where I completed high school, college, and med school before moving northward for residency. Mr. Whoo and I hope to stay put so that CindyLou can have the experience of growing up in one spot.

6. As a child, I was obsessed with Unicorns. Loved them to pieces. Think of Kate from Dodgeball, except that the obsession did not follow me into adulthood. I wanted to believe they were real, and I had a book extolling all of the possibilities of the existence of unicorns. I had a blue million "My Little Ponies." (Which, I am happy to report, CindyLou now adores.) I have an obscene collection of unicorns packed away in my basement, just waiting for CindyLou to be ripe for a passion of her own. Evil Mommy.

I know that I am now supposed to tag other people to do this, but I think that everyone I read has already done these memes weeks ago! If you haven't yet, consider yourself tagged. Lazy = me.

P. S. S. As for the bean, no news, thus far, is good news, right? So far everything is status quo, gagginess, fatigue, et. al. No bleeding or cramping, so I assume the bean is hanging in there. My appointment isn't until the 18th, so I am trying not to obsess too much until then.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Hi,
Just delurking to tell you how much I enjoy your blog. I am a mom of one boy who is I think around the same age as Cindy Whoo - so I relate so much to your writings about the chaotic life of a working mom - though I am in awe of what you accomplish in a day and don't know how you do it! I am also planning to go back to school to become a NICU nurse after I have my next baby (which is becoming a real struggle to conceive but anyway) so the OBGYN field fascinates me and I love to read your stories of L&D. Congrats on your bun in the oven, and many prayers for a healthy pregnancy!

ps - totally with you on not answering the phone, I am the exact same way! Drives my husband crazy, call display is my best friend!

Jawndoejah said...

Stick little baby bean, stick.

Praying for your bean baby. Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Your first two favorite Christmas songs are mine, too. I never heard O Holy Night until I was about 20, and it was instantly a favorite. How I went that long without hearing it, I don't know. My parents were not churchgoers, and we didn't sing it at school...

Anonymous said...

It is so wonderful to hear that there are other medical people who hate to talk to people in other settings. :) My family thinks I must be in the wrong profession because I hate to talk on the phone or answer emails. My mother has to twist my arm to get me to call the dentist for an appointment, or call to schedule a haircut, or call for pizza . . . so many awful things could be said by the other person, though, couldn't they?

And to your last post: I hope you gave those students really bad evaluations. They deserve it. I would be ashamed to act like that even on a rotation like psych that I hated - let alone that I want to do. They should have been begging to watch circs. (Although I would plead extenuating circumstances re: playing with newborns. Those creatures only have that really fresh, vulnerable look for about five minutes. ;)

Amanda said...

Love your description of Ozzy! Cracks me up.

dr. whoo? said...

Hi Jen~ Thanks for de-lurking! I appreciate your very kind words, and good luck in your training to work in the NICU. People that work with the tiny babes do such amazing things with those new little lives.

I also wish you good luck in the conception arena, I know how frustrating it can be. Thank you for reading, and will have more wild stories to share, I'm sure. :)

jawndoejah~ Thanks for the prayers! Just 2 more days until I find out what the heck is going on with the bean, good or bad, so I'll take all the prayers that I can get!

3carnations~ You have excellent taste in music! ;) O Holy Night just gives me chills to hear it, usually followed shortly thereafter by founts of tears. I'm forever trying not to cry in church when I hear it. I'm sure people think I am nuts when they see me.

hi alice! Yes, physicians can be introverts, too! My husband is the eternal extrovert, so he just does not understand how being around other people just sucks the life out of me.

As for the students, well, I gave them "ok" evaluations instead of "great" evaluations. I am, admittedly, a soft touch, and usually give high marks to people that make an honest effort to do what they are supposed to do.

amanda~ Ha! I was just being honest :) Glad to make you laugh.