Saturday, February 21, 2009

"Blah"ging

Wow, I just went fifteen days without even thinking about blogging! Maybe that is because I have delivered 12 babies in the last 2 weeks, including my second set of twins for the month. I am very happy to have attended 2 twin births this month, both vaginal deliveries, one without an epidural (go mom, woo!). February has been filled with post-dates patients and big babies (though none coming close to my recent 11 pounder!) It has also been filled with more C-sections than I would like to have, but I guess my good run of vaginal deliveries had to end somewhere.

The word is out that I am leaving the hospital. The feedback that I have gotten overall has been really positive. By that I mean, people seem sad to be seeing me go, but they aren't being jerky about it. Most people are very understanding of my family and call situation, as well as the reason why I am leaving. It's nice to know that I will be missed by the staff and the patients, for I will surely miss (most of) them. We have been showing the house sporadically. Let me tell you, getting the house "show ready" with two messy kids and (let's face it) two fairly messy adults is a serious challenge. After every showing I get this huge surge of hope that we will finally sell the house. And then? Nothing. I know it is a bum market right now, but the thought of carrying this house payment with us after we leave is daunting. So much hinges on whether or not we sell the house. Will we buy or rent in NewCity? Are we looking for temporary or more permanent? CindyLou will be starting Kindergarten (!!!) in the fall, so we are trying to find the area in which we want to settle in the "right" school district. So much uncertainty is fairly uncomfortable.

The licensing process is dragging on and on, but I think I have it all pulled together. Now I just have to get it all submitted. I don't know how anyone could fake being a physician and get a medical license. I can barely get all the bases covered, and I am totally legit! I just can't believe how much I am being nickeled and dimed to death on all of the various and sundry fees. I've decided that New State will be our final destination for the duration of my medical practice. I cannot fathom going through the licensure process yet again.

Mr. Whoo, CindyLou, and the Bean are all doing great. The Bean is 18 months old. (Can you believe it?) He is such a little sweetheart. His language has really taken off since he got his tubes put in last summer. He loves books, and will sit in your lap, snuggle, and read books for hours! He idolizes his big sister, and while he cannot say her name yet, he calls her "sissy" in the most adorable way. CindyLou is a stellar big sister, and, at times, is very much a little mommy to the Bean. She is so smart and curious. She drives crazy with her constant jabber sometimes, but I suppose this comes naturally. Both Mr. Whoo and I often got the admonishment of "Talks too much!" on our progress reports and report cards! Mr. Whoo continues to be the best husband on earth. I don't know where our family would be without him. I feel so lucky to have such a wonderful partner.

As for me? I'm getting through one day at a time. I am still 2 steps forward and 2 steps back (Paula Abdul reference completely unintended, sorry!) with respect to weight loss. I still find myself turning to food for comfort at the end of a long, hard day. I keep seeing everyone with whom I went to high school and college (via facebook, mostly) all looking so fit and well rested, I veritably seethe with envy at times. I look ten years older than I actually am, not to mention 50 lbs heavier than I should be. I know better times are on the horizon; I just need to quit making excuses. Any way, I just wanted to check in and let you know that I am still alive and kicking! Now I just have to figure out 2 snazzy posts for MIM before next Friday. Hmmm....

13 comments:

Paula said...

I hope your home sells, and that you get a little more sleep in the near future! Congratulations on the twin deliveries--if I ever have twins I want a doctor who is experienced and comfortable with vaginal deliveries. Not that I would wish for twins in the first place--that's a guaranteed recipe for sleep deprivation!

wife.mom.nurse said...

Wow, just found my first OB doc blog. .. I see you already have many nurses following...think I shall join ")

Taking Heart said...

Glad to hear things are moving (no pun intended) right along for you. Hope you enjoy your new state of employment... hope you grow a practice you love, that allows you to spend quality time with the people you love!

Anonymous said...

Wow, the two twin births sound great! I bet many people at the hospital will miss you a lot.

Ugh, I compare myself to my classmates on Facebook, too. It's frustrating and inevitable, I guess. I am sure there are many things about your life of which they would be envious.

Anonymous said...

Even if your house sells you might still be better to rent for a while. That gives you a chance to really learn NewCity and figure out what you want. Wish I'd done that when we moved to NewCity 20 years ago. It worked out OK in the end, but had I known more about the area and the builder (who was, it turned out, infamous) we wouldn't have bought the house we bought. Good luck!

Lisa said...

Sounds like as crazy as life has been for you lately, you have a wonderful family that is there for you! Good luck with your continued process of moving!

{sue} said...

Just found you this weekend from MIM (via Where's My Cape) and I love your blog!!!! I had to go back and read the whole thing. After reading, part of me really wishes I were back in the working world, and another part of me is very greatful for being at home with little ones right now.

I hope you house sells soon so you can move on. Your current job sounds stinky and I hope your NewCity and NewJob gives you a much saner existence.

3carnations said...

My son is starting kindergarten in the fall, too! Unbelievable how time flies!

Anonymous said...

Be comforted by the fact that my FB pic shows me 15 lbs lighter than I am and I'm sure everyone else's does, too!

Jen @ the mama years said...

i know your pain about licensing....i couldn't believe how hard the DEA test was for our state's unlimited license! I swear no one would ever fake this stuff. And the fees were absolutely nuts, esp on a resident's salary....moonlighting better pay off!

Anonymous said...

I second the "rent in NewCity" comment. That's what we're about to do and it's sooo much more relaxing to move.

In fact, we have decided to keep our old house until we buy in NewCity. That means we'll keep our primary address the same, and the NewCity rent is a writeoff as a business expense.

Finally, the NewCity rental is furnished, so we don't have to move much stuff for now--and can start to "show" our current house once we do decide to sell, with furniture still in it, but not us living in it! Highly recommended if you can pull it off.

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's usually pounds that make us look older. It's outdated make-up, gray un-kept hair and a sloppy appearance. All things you can fix without getting on the scale!

Yes, even a working mom/of two can switch lipsticks sometimes and swipe a little glowy stuff on.

As far as I can tell those white coats will hide the 50 pounds. So don't let a few extra baby pounds put you off from a stylish cut and at least a hint of make-up.

Hope your house sells!

Lara said...

Your kiddos sound awesome, just like their mommy. Also, I'm with you on being 2 steps forward and 2 steps back with the weight loss. ARGH.