Thursday, December 11, 2008

Done, done, on to the next one...

Oh, my poor little neglected blog, how I have missed you. I am finally done with the oral boards...at least for this year. All I can think about is of what I should have said that I didn't (and what I did say that I shouldn't!) The exam was over quickly, mercifully, but the more I think, the more morose I become. No matter now, if I fail or if I pass, I shall not speak of it again on the blog. Suffice it to say that I am done and trying to get over it, and now must focus my attention to the holiday that is a mere 14 days (FOURTEEN DAYS!!!) away. I have cards, cookies, and call on tap for the weekend, along with a Christmas and a birthday party. Oh, and online shopping, the working woman's savior.

Our house is properly Christmas-ed, thanks to Mr. Whoo. We have made the the obligatory mall Santa visit, complete with non-screaming children in the picture, a coup! CindyLou is *beside* herself with excitement. It is so wonderful. To see her joy and wonder about Santa and the season does my poor, 3-sizes-too-small, grinchy heart so much good. Bean is fascinated by the tree and the lights, and while he doesn't quite "get" it all, he is loving the experience. Of course, my favorite moment of the season thus far comes from Mr. Whoo, explaining our nativity to CindyLou.

Mr. Whoo: "...and this is Mary."
CindyLou: "Oh! Like 'Mary Had a Little Lamb'?"
Mr. Whoo: "No, more like Mary had a little Jesus."

It was priceless...maybe you had to be there. Anyway, I'm back, and, if the pregnant ladies cooperate (ha), I will try to get back to more reliable posting. Promises, promises. :)

10 comments:

MamaDoc said...

Welcome back!

Hope said...

Hooray! I so miss your blog!

In fact, I think I've read every single post you've made. I adore them!

Hopefully the pregnant ladies will stay pregnant for you!

Merry Christmas!

Shawnee said...

Glad to hear you survived your oral boards, I am sure you did fine! Yes, I will agree your blog is being neglected but I understand life happens! Happy Holidays!

-Shawnee

Anonymous said...

I was certain I had failed oral boards. Finally the letter came and it started out, "Congratulations" so all was well. But those 4 weeks of being SURE I had failed were miserable. You did well, I'm sure. RuralObGyn

Anonymous said...

Hi. This really isn't a comment about this particular post, but I wanted to let you know that I truly enjoy your blog and find it to be both funny and informative.

I also have a question that I would like to ask. I am 14 weeks pregnant (I know you're thinking - here we go) and I recently came down with what was described as a bad cold. It quickly became an ear and sinus infection. I called my OB after running a low grade temp for 2 days and asked to be seen. She directed me to my family practicioner. I was put out by this. It was my expectation that my OB would care for both my health and my baby's the entire time I was pregnant. Btw, this is my second pregnancy and my previous OB took care of me in a similar situation. Needless to say, I was quite upset and loss some of the goodwill that I felt toward this doctor because she refuse to see me. I wanted the comfort of knowing that a doctor that had my baby's health as a first priority was managing my symptoms and I felt like she refused to give me that.

So my question to you is as an OB, is this what you would have done. Were my expectations unreasonable? Is this just the way it is done? I had a very caring OB that I really connected with the 1st time and unfortunately he left his practice. I can't help but feel that he would have reacted differently and not make me wait to see a family practioner.

Your response will be appreciated, no matter whose side you take.

Amanda said...

missed ya. hope you have a great holiday.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on finishing your oral boards. Good luck.

It's an Amazon Christmas over here too!

dr. whoo? said...

MammaDoc, Hope, Shawnee, Amanda, and Lori ~

Thanks for the comments, y'all, I missed you too! :)

RuralObGyn~ I know I said I wouldn't mention it again on the blog, but....

I passed! Woo hoo!

I'm shocked. I really, really thought I failed. So much so that I was making plans for taking it next year. I'm so glad that I never have to do that again. :) Thanks for the kind words!

Anon 12/15~ Well, I have to say that every Ob is different in how they handle non-obstetric problems in their patients, especially in early pregnancy. I don't think there is a "right" or a "wrong" way to handle it. I don't see it as "refusing" to care for you, in fact, your OB may have thought she was expeiditing your care.

In my office, for example, there are no functioning otoscopes (the things we use to look into your ear), so diagnosing an ear infection is difficult for me to do. I don't make a habit of treating symptoms or giving antibiotics out "just because." There needs to be some diagnostic testing, and it may not be readily available in your current Ob's office.

Also, your primary care physician likely has appointment times built in to their schedule for "walk-in" or "sick" visits. Ob's schedules are a little bit tighter, and it is harder to bring in a lot of non-emergent, work-in patients without totally bogging down the day (and increasing everyone's wait time, to boot.) I know that I have no available slots for walk-in appointments, so the wait for a problem appointment can be up to a week long.

So, I guess what I am saying is that there are always 2 sides to every story. It may be a mistake to react so emotionally (feeling rejected/loss of goodwill) to your physician's actions, simply because it was not in line with your expectations.

That being said, you should have a good rapport with your Ob, so, if you feel this is a "deal breaker," you are early enough in your pregnancy to change providers. Hope this helps, and hope you are feeling better!

Anonymous said...

Good job!! Thanks for the news. Hope the L&D clouds are all white for you this Christmas and maybe that baby isn't as big as you think...Rural ObGyn

Somenurse said...

cindy lou is so cute!