Thursday, October 05, 2006

Tagged

I can't say that I have ever thought about this before, but, thanks to At Your Cervix, I am dreaming up the lyrical background for my funeral. This is odd for me, as I really haven't given this all that much thought. I would like to think that those I leave behind would be the ones to narrate my lyrical legacy. Maybe that is naive. The three immediate songs that come to mind are the ones that are listed. I would also encourage those who may mourn me to add to the list. Suggestions welcome below!

Only the Good Die Young - Billy Joel

Come out Virginia, don't let me wait
You Catholic girls start much too late, aw
But sooner or later it comes down to fate
I might as well be the one.
Well they showed you a statue, told you to pray
They built you a temple and locked you away, aw
But they never told you the price that you pay
For things that you might have done
Well only the good die young, that's what I said
Only the good die young, only the good die young.
You might'a heard I run with a dangerous crowd
We ain't too pretty, we ain't too proud
We might be laughing a bit too loud, aw
But that never hurt no one.
So come on Virginia, show me a sign
Send up a signal, I'll throw you the line
The stained-glass curtain you're hiding behind
Never lets in the sunDarlin' only the good die young, woah woah woah woah woah woah
I tell you only the good die young, only the good die young
You got a nice white dress and a party on your confirmation
You got a brand new soul, mmm and a cross of gold
Well Virginia they didn't give you quite enough information
You didn't count on me, when you were counting on your rosary
Oh woah woah, and they say there's a heaven for those who'll wait
And some say it's better, but I say it ain'tI'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints
The sinners are much more fun
You know that only the good die young, woah baby
I tell you only the good die young, only the good die young
Said your mother told you all that I could give you was a reputation, aw
She never cared for me, but did she ever say a prayer for me?
Woah woah woah, come out, come out, Virginia don't let me wait
You Catholic girls start much too late
But sooner or later it comes down to fate
I might as well be the one
You know that only the good die young
Tell ya babyYou know that only the good die young, only the good die young
Only the good, only the good die young
Woo, woo, woo, wooWoo, woo, woo, woo
Only the good die young, only the good die young.


Jesters, Dreamers, and Thieves - Edwin McCain

Looking back on younger days the view stretched on for miles
We charged into our futures with laughter and smiles
As we traveled blindly the road became so thick
No chance to change direction and we've laughed until we're sick

Now I keep company with wicked evil men
My generosity's brimming but I'm still inclined to sin
My friends think I am crazy and I know that may be so
But I'm as happy with a penny as coffers full of gold

Chorus:And so for all of you I say, don't miss the forest for all the trees
And don't ever question Honor Among Thieves
The undergrowth has parted now the path is easily read
It's lined with all the doubters regretting all they've said
God bless all the dreamers and those who lead with soul
For how can you know virtue 'less you fought out of a hole

Chorus Trickle of a chuckle as laughter starts to pour
Bells begin to jingle the trickles now a roar
Pan floutist, cloven dancerThe mischief has begun
Laugh with me if it's funny, laugh at me if it's fun
And I don't know St. Peter but I know he believes
There's a place in heaven for Jesters, Dreamers & Thieves

Daylight Fading - Counting Crows

Waiting for the moon to come and light me up inside
And I am waiting for the telephone to tell me I'm alive
Well I heard you let somebody get their fingers into you
It's getting cold in California
I guess I'll be leaving soon
Daylight fading
Come and waste another year
All the the anger and the eloquence are bleeding into fear
Moonlight creeping around the corners of our lawn
When we see the early signs that daylight's fading
We leave just before it's gone

She said "everybody loves you,"she says, "everybody cares"
But all the things I keep inside myselfthey vanish in the air
If you tell me that you'll wait for me
I'll say I won't be hereI want to say goodbye to you
Goodbye to all my friends
Goodbye to everyone I know
Daylight fading
Come and waste another year
All the the anger and the eloquence are bleeding into fear
Moonlight creeping around the corners of our lawn
When we see the early signs that daylight's fading
We leave just before it's gone

P.S. I officially am disowning Florida State. We suck ass. Did I mention? I effing hate Jeff Bowden. 1-2 in the ACC. Un-freakin-believable.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just sat and read your entire blog from the beginning. Just call me Queen Procrastinator - Yes, all three kids are sleeping, and I SHOULD be doing laundry, cleaning, etc. instead of, what did you call it, blog voyeuring!?!? I can't help it. I am a physician assistant who worked in OBGYN in my pre-kid life, and I miss it like crazy. Unfortunately, I live in a town (hubby is finishing his residency/fellowship) that does not utilize PAs in OB, and I am currently 35 weeks EGA with baby #4, so I will have to be content to live vicariously through your blog for a while.

Keep up the good work, both in blogging and in practice. You remind me alot of my supervising physician. She too was fresh out of residency, and working on establishing a practice and herself in the community. I admire your dedication to your patients, and your obvious love for what you do. It seems like a lot of OBs coming out of residency are burnt out already, and looking to join large practices where they can take call 2-3 times a month, instead of several times a week. As a provider who worked 80+ hour weeks (hubby was an intern and we had no kids yet), and carried the pager 24/7 (although I did not do the actual deliveries alone, I did labor with a lot of our patients) I don't blame them one bit, but as a consumer of OBGYN care, I would prefer to have my own OB attend my delivery, and know they were the ones answering the pager when I needed them. I hope your patients know how lucky they are to have you as their physician.

~J

dr. whoo? said...

I am so sad at the state of our team. Such a waste of talent with poor coaching. Did you know that Bobby, when asked which team he was pulling for today in the Wake vs. Clemson game, replied that he'd have to go with his blood? Even though if Wake won, it would be better for his own team in the ACC?? That speaks volumes to his position. He will never fire Jeff. Maybe pulling the money will force the powers that be into doing something about it. Argh. ;)

dr. whoo? said...

J~ Thank you so much for all of your kind words! You have no idea how much I needed a comment like this today! The blog world is fantabulous for procrastination, hence, my presence here. ;) It is ever so much more fun than laundry, my nemesis. Besides, you are doing a really important job, as well, raising three children with one on the way! Talk about being "on call" 24/7.

Personally, I think it would be awesome to have a PA in OB/GYN. Any plans of returning once the kids are in school? When I left residency, I thought I would go to a really big group, but most of the really big groups are in really big cities (a minus) and you don't get to develop that one on one relationship with your patients (another minus). For all of my whining, I do love what I do. Thank you for reading, and for reminding me why I do this to myself! :)

Anonymous said...

No fair! You didn't seem to enjoy your first meme so I didn't tag you ;) I can't believe I didn't think of the Billy Joel song myself!

dr. whoo? said...

frectis~ I don't mind being tagged (hey, I have a blog, I like talking about myself! ;), I just don't tend to tag other people very often.