Sunday, August 20, 2006

Hibernation

I am still recovering from my week-o-hell. I am trying to lay low for the first part of my vacation, as I am still in Hometown, but am not taking calls/seeing patients. This is difficult in a small town, for you are surely going to see someone you know or who knows you (which is more often the case for me) wherever you go. I can just picture, as I am trying to grocery shop or buy new (desperately needed) make up, "Oh! Dr. Whoo! I thought you were on vacation! I was going to call you about this rash (discharge, pain, etc.) I've been having for the last 2 years. While you're here....." Believe me, it has happened before. Unfortunately, I really do need to grocery shop, buy new makeup and clothes for the beach, get my hair done and my oil changed and everything else that I don't have time to do while I am working, so it is a risk I am going to have to run. My strategy is to either get out really early (which defeats the purpose of vacation, IMO) or right around dinnertime or later. We'll see how this pans out. I spent the entire day yesterday in pjs playing with my little one, watching movies, and reading, reading, reading blogs. It is so addictive! I find myself drawn to the infertility patient blogs (a professional interest of mine) and to the med student blogs. I know it has been a while since I was there, but reading the stories that these folks post brings me right back to that place in time. A while ago I compiled some musical quotes about my life and medical school that I am going to post in honor of all of you poor souls braving the wilds of medical school and residency. Hang in there!

"Another sleepless night, turn off my light, turn it on. Open my books, take in silence and wait for the dawn..." ~ billy pilgrim - "Try"

"How did I become a molecule in the concrete of this city? Indifferent to my endless motion in a space too small to see?" ~ Vertical Horizon - "Falling Down"

"But you will come to a place where the only thing you feel are loaded guns in your face, and you'll have to deal with pressure..." ~ Billy Joel - "Pressure"

"Finally get it together...where do you belong?" ~ Jackopierce - "Get it Together"

"Sleeping through classes, we'll make it up later. There's still so much time left to go. Misguided Roses, we bloom in October, emerging triumphant in time for the season's first snow" ~ Edwin McCain - "Rhythm of Life"

"People live below me and above me, to the side, and even if I wanted to, I've got no place good to hide. Concrete is my color and commerce, its my pride...Get me out of here...no one should live like this" ~ billy pilgrim - "Get Me Out Of Here"

"Where does the time go? Spinning my wheels, standing still...just like running on ice. I only gain a little distance when I fall." ~ Vertical Horizon - "Falling Down"

"And the sky could open up, and what would we have to say? Something cute about burning out, it's better than fading away" ~ Edwin McCain - "Darwin's Children"

"I spent four years prostrate to the higher mind, got my paper and I was free" ~ Indigo Girls -"Closer to Fine"

4 comments:

dr. whoo? said...

Hi Mrs. Mom! Seriously, it is really the same girl, just 50 pounds heavier. (bleah!) If you just saw me on the street (after being amazed at how rotund I am) you would not know the difference. I just have less opportunity to indulge in such debauchery, what with professional duty and being a parent et al. It looks like I'm going to spend a good portion of my vacation glued to the screen, reading all of the blogs that I can read. My husband is going to have to pry me off of the computer. I can hear him plotting in his head to do so already! Again, thanks for the compliments and for reading. :)

Anonymous said...

Great post! Enjoy your vacation!

PS ... a few ways to keep people from harassing you in public is to either wear ear buds and be very intent on your musical enjoyment, or carry a cell phone, and pretend to be heavy in conversation with someone ...

Hope you escape notice! ;o)

dr. whoo? said...

Thank you for the suggestions, Moof! These are very good ideas. I have a tendency to just barrel through the store, focus, and don't look around or make eye contact. So far, so good!

dr. whoo? said...

boonedog! Congratulations! I am so thrilled for you! I must have beetlejuiced you when I was thinking about our apartment and singing billy pilgrim and Edwin this weekend. :) It is so good to "hear" from you. We have got to catch up, obviously!